Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Today has been a dark day in Azeroth. The Lich King, Kel'Thuzad, has sent forth his undead minions to invade the lands of the Alliance as well as the Horde. As I set forth this morning, I noticed a dense fog had fallen over the human city of Stormwind, where I currently have my residence. As I moved through the murk, I was hailed by emissaries of the Argent Dawn, a group of humans I have dealt with in the past who have been at the forefront of the fight against the Scourge.

Argent Dawn Emissaries

They informed me that an invasion of undead forces had taken place all across the world of Azeroth, targeting lands friendly and hostile to the Alliance as well as those that are still contested. The Lich King, from his base in Naxxramus above Stratholme, had used his powers to raise large ziggurats outside the major cities of the world as well as in some of the more remote and lightly defended areas. The ziggurats were spawning undead in wave after wave upon the surrounding areas and everyone was needed to come to aid the defense. Startled by this news, I hastened to the gates of Stormwind, where my breath was taken away by the fearsome awe of the sight which awaited me.

Stormwind Ziggurat

At the urging of the emissaries, I took flight to their base at the Light's Hope Chapel, in what is known as the Eastern Plaguelands. From the ground, it was hard to fully appreciate the size of the ziggurat outside the gates, but as my griffon flew by it, the peril of the situation had me worrying for the safety of my friends and aquaintances spread across Azeroth. As my griffon approached Ironforge, I was able to see one of the ziggurats much more clearly. However, I was still unable to fathom how they ziggurats functioned, and marveled at the arcane forces which must power them.

Ironforge Ziggurat

When I arrived at Light's Hope Chapel, I was amazed by the growth of what had previously been a minor outpost on the edge of nothingness. There were now representatives of all the races, and of the Scarlet Crusade as well. I did not feel much comfort in that knowledge. However, the great number of heroes both Alliance and Horde actively working to assist the efforts did much to assuage my worries.

Light's Hope Chapel

There seemed to be three major facets of facing the undead thread. The first was gathering materials to outfit the forces which would be participating in the onslaught of Kel'Thuzad's fortress. The second was the destruction of the invading undead forces around the world. The third was the assault on Naxxramus itself. Only the most well-trained and prepared groups would be able to make any headway there.

Naxxramus above Stratholme

Closer to Naxxramus

Because my arrival was ahead of many of my compatriots in Genesis, I decide to first put my hand to the task of collecting the items required for the success of the fight against the Scourge. In this effort, I was accompanied by a well-practiced mage, Brees. However, the great influx of other members of our guild led us to set aside this task in favor of working toward the destruction of the ziggurats around the world.

Ziggurat and Crystal

Before, I mentioned that I was puzzled by the mechanics of the ziggurats. Not being knowledgable of magical things, I still don't know how they work. But I do know how to stop them. Each ziggurat spawns a crystal on the ground which spawns large numbers of undead. By killing those spawns and collecting a rune that they drop, over time you are able to weaken the crystal. Then when some of Kel'Thuzad's minons appear to strengthen the crystal, you use some of those runes to interrupt their channeling, causing some sort of feed back which destroys their body, leaving only a shadow, which you then kill, and in doing so, damaging the crystal. By destroying the crystals in this way, we are able to stem the tide of the invasion. For a while at least.

Joining several of my guildmates, we journeyed to Tanaris, one of the more distant sites of the invasion, and found the battle at the crystals of the ziggurats there to be well underway.

Crystal in Tanaris

Crystal in Tanaris, 2

After silencing the ziggurat in Tanaris, we went our separate ways, many continuing in the effort to defeat the Scourge Invasion. I returned to Light's Hope Chapel to report our success and to rest from a long day's battle, knowing that the fight against the Scourge has just begun. I've seen much today that shows the great power of the Lich King. And I eagerly await the day on which I and my companions will be ready to face him down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home